Thursday, January 9, 2014

Nature's Ice Art!

This is a continuation of my last blog, showcasing the winter artistry of mother nature. 

The Hocking Hills Canopy Tours property, like all of Hocking Hills is a wonderland for any photographer with a discriminating eye. One of my favorite things to do is to simply hike all around the property and photograph anything that captures my attention...my only limitation being that of "time". 
A view of the Hocking River from a Hocking Hills Canopy zip line perspective.







Hocking Hills Canopy Tours has many recessed caves on the property.
This one measures 22 feet tall, and is a waterfall most months of the year.

Our DragonFly Zipline Adventure for KIDS is perched on a very scenic hillside.

My photographic compositions typically consist of rolling landscapes, rock formations, old growth trees, meandering rivers...not to mention, of course anything zipline related (during the months that we're open)! Sometimes I'm lucky enough to be entertained by the local animal life... a fawn, an owl, wood pecker, beaver, turkey, coyote, etc... but not on this latest outing. 

This landscape features a hidden cave. (see below)

This recessed cave is a hidden gem, boasting a 14 foot waterfall.
As much as I like to photograph the "life-sized" world, my passion lies in capturing images of things that most people may miss. Little, insignificant things that whisper to me for attention. Sometimes these "macro" sized subjects turn out to be rather boring, but other times they turn out to be little visual "gems". I enjoy finding and sharing these tiny visual "nuggets"—but my enthusiasm is often times squashed by the reaction from people who just "don't get it". 

...Reminds me of one of my favorite poems:

To see a world in a grain of sand,
and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
and eternity in an hour.
                                                             - William Blake 

A tiny ice sculpture.

An ice "stalagmite" inside one of the caves.

An icy hybernation.
© 2014 Dan Eckel











2 comments:

  1. You totally captured those insignificant beauties to the naked eye, which gives such a huge perspective of how massive beauty truly is.... The essence of the art that lies in nature alone, and in itself! Absolutely stunning, Dan!

    ReplyDelete